The Little Things
- Nosefrida The Snotsucker Nasal Aspirator Just get it. I know it sounds gross, but it works much better than those bulb things. Get saline too.
- Infant painkillers. Tylenol for the littles, and Motrin for those over 6 months. You'll thank yourself. and homeopathic teething tablets. I don't know if they work, but the placebo effect is decent if they don't.
- A playmat. They really can amuse themselves for a while in the 2-5 mo range by kicking a rattle.
- A couple of small toys that light up. The light thing from the top of our big playmat gym thing (It was by Sassy, but I can't find a link) was the biggest hit, and the lights on the bouncer also were popular. There's a variety of pianos and such on the market that I bet they would have LOVED (but we never bought).
- A white noise machine.
- A humidifier.
- A pack of those terribly small, crappy recieving blankets....use them as changing pads atop your changing pad. Much easier to change when they get smeared with poop. It will happen.
- Prefolds , even if you don't cloth diaper. BEST burp clothes ever (and also work well under baby butts for poop containment).
- Velcro swaddle blankets. I know it sounds frivolous, but unless you're really good at fabric origami in the dark, it is a good idea. Trust me. Two/baby is enough, but three is better.