Sunday, May 19, 2013

Shopping with twin toddlers

It's an experience. Hauling a stroller into a store with carts (when we haven't walked there) just isn't out thing, so we do a lot of winging it. There's just not a lot of stores with functional doubles. I Love the doubles at BJs/Costco, but my grocery store has ones kind of like the weird triples at Target with the seat designed for a 6 year old and car carts only.

Party in Lowes several months ago. These inescapable cars still work for us.
Now, the weird seat ones are fine for toddlers...if buckles aren't an issue. My kids don't mind being buckled exactly, but they like to do it themselves. This is just fine in a BJs cart but not in a cart where they are likely to tumble out and fall 4 feet due to the design.
Perfectly nice true double. Not sure why they don't fight about sitting in these...maybe because they only see them every 6 or 8 weeks?
And, I am just not willing to plan my life so that my toddlers don't have to go to the grocery store.

Driving today before the escapes began
So today, we may or may not have been spotted by our pediatrician with two 1.75 year olds in various stages of climbing the car cart...we are working on either a) staying in the car or b) walking and holding hands 75% of the time when we shop now. We do most of our weekend shopping together or with the jogging stroller, so this is working ok (aka they walk a lot of the time). But they're just NOT ready to be free yet...I tried a few weeks ago and ended up carrying 2 20 month olds out of Target football style.  They WERE having a good time but I couldn't grab the ONE STINKING ITEM I wanted plus keep them BOTH within an arms length (one item aside, I couldn't do it). Maybe by next year this time they'll be mature enough that there is no running down aisles.

(Ironically, the basket on this car cart does have a double seat, but what kid wants to sit up there when there is a car option?)





No comments:

Post a Comment